Breast reconstructive plastic surgery is a major procedure involving an extensive treatment process. The patient should be prepared to make the time commitment necessary for the surgery. The surgeon will provide the patient with detailed preparatory guidelines for the reconstruction surgery.
Astute cosmetic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie provides breast reconstruction to patients in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and surrounding locations.
Preparing for Breast Reconstruction Surgery
The patient will need to undertake the following preparatory steps prior to the breast reconstruction procedure:
- Get specific tests done such as a chest x-ray, particular blood tests, and an electrocardiogram. In some cases, the surgeon may order specialized mammograms for the patient in addition to these tests.
- In case the patient smokes, she will need to quit smoking at least one month prior to the breast reconstruction to enable proper healing.
- Not use anti-inflammatory meds, blood thinners, and certain vitamins and herbal supplements that could cause bleeding.
- Alter the prescription meds schedule in consultation with the primary care physician.
- Stay appropriately hydrated for several days before and after the surgery for optimal outcomes.
- Increase lean protein consumption and have a balanced diet for many weeks prior to the reconstruction plastic surgery procedure.
The patient can transition seamlessly from the surgical facility to her home by making some advance preparations prior to the breast reconstruction procedure, including:
- Make sure that essential items at home are placed within easy reach as the patient will not be allowed to raise her hands for a few days after the surgery.
- Organize frozen food or ask someone to help in meal preparation for the first few days.
- Avoid lifting weights heavier than five pounds for at least six weeks post-surgery. The patient should seek assistance for such tasks in the first few weeks after the breast reconstruction.
- Buy essential items and clothing prior to the procedure.
- Complete any critical home or work-related tasks before the surgery to enjoy a relaxed and comfortable recovery phase.
The patient may not be able to wear a top that pull over her head for some days after the reconstruction surgery. It is a good idea to procure some loose front-open shirts and sweatshirts beforehand. Sweatshirts with internal pockets can be useful for storing the drain pipes.
Before the surgery, the patient should place some extra pillows and blankets on her bed. She may set-up a bedside recovery station on a nightstand with a mobile phone, remotes, magazines, a handheld mirror, and a medicine box.
Furthermore, she should arrange for some measuring cups in the bathroom for drain tube evacuation as recommended by the surgeon. The patient should also arrange for aftercare according to her specific needs to enjoy a relaxed and comfortable recovery period.
Accomplished cosmetic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie receives patients from Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and other towns and cities in this area of SoCal for breast reconstruction surgery.
- To see more services and treatments provided by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Motykie in Beverly Hills | Los Angeles | West Hollywood and his team please visit: