Patients who have undergone a mastectomy for breast cancer treatment and are considering breast reconstruction plastic surgery should gather as much information as possible about this plastic surgery procedure.
An experienced and accomplished plastic surgeon can provide the patient with insightful information on the multiple treatment options available to her and address her questions and concerns thoroughly.
Prior to undergoing a breast reconstruction procedure, the patient should ensure that the plastic surgeon addresses all her concerns appropriately. She should ask the surgeon to clarify if she does not understand any aspect of the procedure.
To help remember to ask essential questions during the consultation appointment, the patient can enlist these questions beforehand or ask a friend or family member to accompany her to the surgeon’s office. Devoted cosmetic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie provides breast reconstruction to patients in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and surrounding communities in this region of California.
Important Questions to Ask
Pertaining to the following questions, the patient can also make a list of any other questions or concerns that she may have. By asking the surgeon to address these questions, she can arrive at the right decision regarding the surgery.
- Am I a suitable candidate for breast reconstruction?
- When is it an ideal time to undergo the breast reconstruction plastic surgery?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of getting breast reconstruction surgery done along with my mastectomy (immediate reconstruction) vs. waiting for a period (delayed reconstruction)?
- Will the reconstructive surgery impact my post-op chemotherapy treatment?
- Will breast reconstruction create problems in my radiation therapy?
- What breast reconstruction alternatives are available for my specific case?
- What are the advantages and limitations of each alternative?
- Which reconstruction technique would you recommend to me and why?
- What are the costs associated with each alternative? Will my insurer offer coverage for the breast reconstruction surgery?
- What is the recovery period involved in each alternative?
- What results can I expect?
- Will the new, reconstructed breast appear the same as the other breast?
- Would plastic surgery on the other breast help both breasts to appear similar?
- What is the possibility of nipple reconstruction and what is the procedure for achieving this?
- How will my new breast(s) feel?
- Will there be sensation in the breast(s) following the reconstruction?
- What type of risks does this procedure involve?
- In case the flap technique is employed, will it cause scarring, pain, and changes in the body sites from where the tissue is removed?
- If I choose implant placement, what is their longevity?
- What impact will aging have on the reconstructed breast(s)?
- How will weight gain or loss impact the reconstructed breast(s)?
- What will the at-home aftercare involve?
- Will you place surgical tubes?
- What type of activities can I undertake at home in the initial few days after the reconstructive surgery?
Dedicated cosmetic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie receives patients from Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and other neighborhoods and towns in this region of the southwest for breast reconstruction.
- To see more services and treatments provided by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Motykie in Beverly Hills | Los Angeles | West Hollywood and his team please visit: